Friday, July 24, 2026

Subpoenas about Reporting on Qatar Gifted Air Force One Are Withdrawn After Argument in SDNY

SDNY COURTHOUSE, July 23 – The defense table began with three prosecutors and ended with four on July 23 before U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York Judge Arun Subramanian. Inner City Press, with a FOIA case against DOJ pending before Judge Sumramanian, live tweeted:

All rise!
Judge Subramanian: Mr. Buckley, is the government willing to withdraw the subpoena given you ask to hold it an abeyance while you investigate?
Buckley: We are not seeking testimony. But we want the records properly preserved 

Buckley: The subpoenas were properly issued on July 10-
Judge Subramanian: So that's a No. Your brief says there are investigative steps the Government anticipates taking - since you haven't taken them, haven't you failed the Gonzalez test?
Buckley: No. 

Judge Subramanian: But taken the steps means there are other means, and I should quash the subpoenas, no? Let me ask the movants, me quashing them now would not prevent you from arguing in the future, right?
Right.
Judge: Withdraw, or quash, those are the options 

Buckley: We would like to preserve the record. There is a circuit split - the 4th Circuit in the Sterling case rejects the three factor test. So we will not withdraw.
Judge: Can't you take the steps, then come back and apply for subpoenas? 

Buckley: If we withdraw it might imply we accept the Gonzalez test.
Judge: You're going to go to the Supreme Court?
Buckley: It's possible.
Judge: I will not understand any withdraw as accepting the Gonzalez test. I'm trying to figure out a practical way here 

Judge: You propose an abeyance of two weeks. But your investigation might take longer. It seems, based on what you say today, it would be quashed. Or you withdraw.
Buckley: In your in inclined to quash, I understand the rationale. 

Judge: The movants say it is appropriate this Court retains jurisdiction. Any objection?
Buckley: If directed at these reporters, yes. But not over the entirety of the grand jury proceeding. Only the reporters.
NYT lawyer: We are not aware of the case they cite 

Judge: Mr. Buckley, are you in charge of this investigation?
Buckley: Yes.
Judge: You said the steps you now refer to, you were not aware - what do you mean?
Buckley: On July 10 the subpoenas were appropriate, authorized by the Acting Attorney General 

Judge: Aren't subpoenas supposed to be the last step? And the first would be to ID other means not raising these 1st Amendment issues
Buckley: To the extent I can-
Judge: I'm asking about rules, "not obtainable from other sources."
Buckley: There's an exception 

Buckley: 28 CFR 50.10(c)(4)(iv)
["the Attorney General may authorize the Department of Justice, in such investigations, to issue subpoenas to members of the news media" - much language before thatJudge: You cannot point me to any language in Romanette iv that there need not be any attempt to seek information for other source
Buckley: I think it's clear on its face
Judge: Where?
Buckley: If the Attorney General authorizes it 

Judge: So you're saying because of the nature of this investigation, there was no attempt to find out these were the numbers of mother and spouses-
Buckley: That was an error. We own it. We used a public source database
Judge: Aren't you saying you can just do it? 

Buckley: No. The family members, that was a mistake, not in furtherance of the investigation.
Judge: There was other earlier reporting on the defensive capability of the new Air Force One. So what gave the Government concerns?
Buckley: Citing gov't sources 

Buckley: We would be prepared to immunize these reporters - our focus is on the leakers.
Judge: Is Mr. Sullivan here?
Buckley: Yes. In the gallery
Judge: Why? He is on all the pleadings. Come up- we have extra chairs here. Good afternoon.
Sullivan: Good afternoon 

Judge: You didn't tell the judge that the subpoena was about reporters, about the New York Times?
Sullivan: We did not. It was an oversight. Later we did legal research.
Judge: Wouldn't it have been relevant to know there had been public reporting?
A: Yes 

Judge: Are you going to do this again?
Sullivan: Absolutely not.
Judge: It said non-disclosure would continue for one year - why?
Sullivan: It applied to the wider public as well. These investigations came take more than a year.
Judge: Even the account holders?
No 

Judge Subramanian: If these were a regular case I would issue an Order to Show Cause why sanctions should not issue. Why not here?
Buckley: Look at footnote 5
Judge: That wasn't sufficient. I am giving you the opportunity to meet it more fully
Buckley: Never again 

Judge: What additional case law did you find?
Buckley: That account holders could have standing to challenge.
Judge: You mean the Gonzalez case - were you unaware of it?
Buckley: It was an inadvertent error, not a fast one on a court. 

Judge: You were not aware of the leading case in this field?
Buckley: No.
Judge: Why was it an issue of the Gonzalez case at all?
Buckley: We had the regulation about bodily harm. I can't get into it in public.
Judge: How could it be true in these circumstance? 

Judge: DOJ on July 11 has made a statement about it - so how was this appropriate?
Buckley: Yes, we should have done it. I personally did not review the non-disclosure. I do not review every single piece of paper.
[Silence] 

Judge: You say you don't want to withdraw the subpoenas. But the errors are piling up.
Buckley: I am struggling with this: what is the difference, if we hold them in abeyance? It's only testimonial.
Judge: Didn't you just speak about document preservation? 

Buckley: There is a duty to preserve documents.
Judge: But the subpoena doesn't say what the investigation is about.
Buckley: If I had a client, I would say, Preserve them.
Judge: How would they know what the scope was?
Buckley: We spoke with counsel about this 

Buckley: Give me a minute to confer

[Buckley, Sullivan, Maimin and Richman still conferring]
2:57 pm
Buckley: Can we have a five minute adjournment to confer with movants' counsel?
Judge: Of course. We'll come back in five
[Same links as above : )
There's time to answer questions, if there are any 

3:11 pm
Buckley: The Government is prepared unilaterally to withdraw the subpoenas at this time. If under Gonzalez we find it appropriate to seek new subpoenas, we'll come to the court.
Judge: Moving forward, we would have the issues that have plagued it so far 

Judge: Mr. O'Neil take it away.
David O'Neil of Debevoise: I have a lot to say but I'll be brief. It is important that the public know that the Government is unilaterally withdrawing these subpoenas. After this bad faith, I do not expect new subpoenas 

Judge: Mr. Buckley has said the Government will follow the regulations going forward, despite the hiccups to say the least
Buckley: We dispute any allegation of bad faith, I'll just leave it at that.
Judge: Anything else?
Buckley: Not from the government 

Adjourned

 More / analysis on X for Subscribers here and on Substack here

The case is In re Grand Jury Subpoenas Dated July 10, 2026, 1:26-mc-352 (Subramanian)

  


More on X for Subscribers here and Substack here