Friday, July 17, 2026

UMG Not Paying JR Writer for Squalie by Juelz Santana and Shake So SDNY Lawsuit

SDNY COURTHOUSE, July 16 –   Cam'ron's 2004 song Shake, and Juelz Santana's 2003 song Squalie, are the subject of litigation in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. On July 16 Judge Jed S. Rakoff held a hearing, and Inner City Press live tweeted:

Now in case against Universal Music Group by Rusty Brito p/k/a JR Writer for profits from Shake by Cam'ron (2004) and Squalie by Juelz Santana (2003). UMG wants to stay discovery to move to dismiss.

Judge Rakoff: Can UMG file its motion to dismiss by Monday? UMG's lawyer: That would be difficult. Judge Rakoff: Then I might not stay discovery. Can you file your motion by Wedneday? UMG's lawyer: Yes, Your Honor.

 Judge Rakoff: Reply papers August 3 and then oral argument - I will guarantee you a bottom line order by August 17. I understand that Universal may have to go to some lengths to find the documents - but I don't move the trial date.

 UMG's lawyer: There are a number of other people on the registration, we may need four to five depositions beyond plaintiff. Judge Rakoff: OK, I'll move it back to Nov 5. What experts do you have in mind? UMG's lawyer: On allocation of royalties related to damages

 Judge Rakoff: Any summary judgement argument on December 7 - then we'll set the trial date for January. Anything else? No - adjourned

Inner City Press will continue to cover the case(s).
 This case is Brito v. Universal Music Group, 1:26-cv-4750 (Rakoff)


More on X for Subscribers here and Substack here