Friday, May 22, 2026

In Sinaloa Cartel Case in SDNY One In Earlier Pled Guilty Now Merida Sanchez in SDNY



In Sinaloa Cartel Case in SDNY One In Earlier Pled Guilty Now Merida Sanchez in SDNY

by Matthew Russell Lee, Patreon Book Substack

SDNY COURTHOUSE, May15 รข€“ Back on April 14, 2023 DOJ announced the unsealing of fentanyl trafficking, weapons, and money laundering charges contained in three Indictments charging 28 defendants, including 23 based in Mexico, four based in China, and one based in Guatemala, adding that "JULIO MARIN GONZALEZ was previously arrested in the United States and will be arraigned before U.S. District Judge Katherine Polk Failla." 

 Inner City Press, covering the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, went to Gonzelez' arraignment on April 20.

He had been appointed a CJA lawyer, whose associate and a paralegal were there, the latter translating the indictment to Gonzalez. He said they have "begun discussing" it; he pled "no cupable" / not guilty. 

  The AUSA when asked said there were no victims, at least under the statute. 

On June 6, 2024, Inner City Press was in the SDNY Magistrates Court when co-defendant Silvano Francisco Mariano was brought in, extradited from Colombia with drug, gun and money laundering charges. He was assigned a (white shoe) CJA lawyer and was detained on consent, already in Essex County Correctional Facility yellow.

On June 5, 2025 counsel to co-defendant Mariano asked to push the June 10 conference into late July, to "continue ongoing plea negotiations."

Jump cut to August 13 when two more in the case were presented in the SDNY Magistrates Court, the day after they and others were flown in from Mexico. Others questioned the legality of their extraditions - in this case, the two new detainees ostensibly said the same retained lawyer, who said a CJA had been brought in "only for presentment" based on what Clerk said. Can joint representation continue?

On August 20 the US Attorney's Office wrote in noting the two's "desire to be represented by the same counsel" - and proposing Curcio hearing questions for August 21. Inner City Press went.

On September 3 co-defendant 18 Sergio Duarte Frias pled guilty, with sentencing set for December 16 at 3 pm.

On December 2 his defense lawyer wrote in asking for the minimum - 60 months - on December 16.

On December 9 the US Attorney's Office wrote in asking for 108 months.

On December 16, he got 80 months.

On January 22, 2026 the US Attorney's Office write in on co-defendant Rubio Zea  asking for a substantial sentence albeit less than the 108 months stipulated by the parties, on January 27.

In fact, she got six months.

On March 5, 2026 co-defendant Mariano pled guilty to count two, with sentencing set for July 31.

On May 15, Gerarlo Merida Sanchez was brought before SDNY Chief Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn, and into the case. Inner City Press was there, and live tweeted:

He's drawn as counsel former prosecutor Sarah Krissoff (who also reps Nadine Menendez)

All rise! Deputy: This is US v. Sanchez. Defense: Sarah Krissoff for Mr. Merida Sanchez. Judge: Time of arrest? AUSA: He was arrested in Arizona and arrived in this District last night.

 Judge: I understand your client consents to detention. AUSA: Judge Failla has set a conference for June 1. We ask for Speedy Trial Act time to be excluded.

Judge: Done

Inner City Press remains on the case(s).

 The overall case is USA v. Guzman Salazar, 1:23-cr-180 (Failla)

***

Your support means a lot. As little as $5 a month helps keep us going and grants you access to exclusive bonus material on our Patreon page. Click here to become a patron.

sdny

Feedback: Editorial [at] innercitypress.com

Mail: Box 130222 NY NY 10013

Reporter's mobile (and weekends): 718-716-3540



Other, earlier Inner City Press are listed here, and some are available in the ProQuest service, and now on Lexis-Nexis.

 Copyright 2006-2026 Inner City Press, Inc. To request reprint or other permission, e-contact Editorial [at] innercitypress.com

Harvey Weinstein Jury Deadlocked so 2d Mistrial with Exhibits Still Not Made Available and Seinfeld Joke

100 CENTRE STREET, May 15 -- Harvey Weinstein was in his wheelchair, this time with Marc Agnifilo, Teny Geragos and Jacob Kaplan as his lawyers, as opening arguments began before NYS Justice Curtis Farber on April 21. Inner City Press was there and live tweeted. So too on May 5, when the two sides fought about exhibits that are still not being provided to the public and press.

On May 1 Inner City Press put together a letter as it had with Justice Gregory Carro down the hall during his Luigi Mangione hearing (after which Justice Carro ordered the parties to provide exhibits). Yes, NYS Justices still list fax numbers and not emails and no, they do not seem to still have fax machines. But Justice Farber got the letter. Letter here.

And see new book, Harvey Weinstein's Last Stand, e-book and audiobook.

Nothing has happened. As of 5 pm five days later, not a single exhibit has been provided.

  On May 13, Weinstein said he had chest pains, Justice Farber said, and was not brought into the courtroom. Jurors were sent home early after asking for a Powerpoint slide based on exhibits - none of which have been made available to the public or Press, despite its May 1 letter.

On May 14 Harvey Weinstein was back, but coffee that Justice Farber promised the jurors was not. After read-backs of Jessica Mann's testimony, Justice Farber called it a day with a joke about the Seinfeld episode about the car rental agency taking reservations but not honoring them.

On May 15, the jury said twice it could not reach a unanimous decision. Between the two, Weinstein and his lawyers chatted, smiling. The prosecutors were given until June 25 to state whether they want to do a re-trial, again. They still did not make available exhibits, despite Inner City Press' May 1 letter to Justice Farber.

Extra on X for Subscribers here and Substack here

Turkish Woman Charged With Using Kalder To Defraud Pleads Guilty so Sentencing Sept 17



Turkish Woman Charged With Using Kalder To Defraud Pleads Guilty so Sentencing Sept 17

by Matthew Russell Lee, Patreon Book Substack

SDNY COURTHOUSE, May 15 รข€“ A businesswoman is charged with using her company, Kalder, to commit fraud in connection with her model of embedding cash-back and rewards programs directly into the websites of clients, including for example two Brazilian sports teams. 

  She had a proceeding on January 6 before U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York Judge Lewis A. Kaplan. Inner City Press was there.  

 The AUSA describe a laptop extraction so big it cannot be viewed on government computers, and subpoenas out to the two Brazilian teams. The defendant is a Turkish national, she said, necessitating interpretation beyond Google Translate. Also, the defendant's company and its law firm are being slow in complying with a grand jury subpoena.

   The defense opposed any exclusion of time under the Speedy Trial Act. Judge Kaplan called it a serious motion - and for that reason said he would exclude time until the motion is decided.

On January 8 the US Attorney's Office wrote in that it arrested her when it did because as a non citizen it was concerned that another opportunity to arrest her in the US might not have occurred.

On January 12 putting in a notice of appearance to represent Guven was Danielle Sassoon formerly of the US Attorney's Office (including the SBF and Eric Adams prosecutions), now at Clement & Murphy in DC. And the other defense attorneys?

On January 20, this order: "The government's motion to exclude the period from today to and including at least June 15, 2026, under the Speedy Trial Act is granted. This ruling is without prejudice to any application to extend the exclusion and postpone the trial in the event that should prove appropriate."

And on January 27, this: "as to Gokce Guven. Defendant's amended application to remove the ex parte designation and thus disclose to her the redactions and omissions from the motion papers as served on the non-party (Dkt 31) is denied in all respects" - citing grand jury secrecy.

On March 2 Judge Kaplan granted the US' "motion to compel to the extent that Kalder shall comply wiht Subpoena II by March 9. It is denied in all other respects."

On March 12 the US Attorney's Office wrote in asking that Kalder and its officers in contempt and then "impose a penalty of $1000 a day."

On May 15, "Gรƒ–Kรƒ‡E GรƒœVEN, the founder and former Chief Executive Officer of Kalder Inc. (รข€œKalderรข€), pled guilty to one count of securities fraud in connection with a scheme to defraud the investors in Kalder." Sentencing is set for September 17.

More on X for Subscribers here and on Substack here

 The case is USA v. Guven, 1:25-cr-592 (Kaplan)

***

Your support means a lot. As little as $5 a month helps keep us going and grants you access to exclusive bonus material on our Patreon page. Click here to become a patron.

sdny

Feedback: Editorial [at] innercitypress.com

Mail: Box 130222, Chinatown Station, NY NY 10013

Reporter's mobile (and weekends): 718-716-3540



Other, earlier Inner City Press are listed here, and some are available in the ProQuest service, and now on Lexis-Nexis.

 Copyright 2006-2026 Inner City Press, Inc. To request reprint or other permission, e-contact Editorial [at] innercitypress.com

Shooting of Baby in The Bronx Resulted in 3 Detentions 1 Pled Now a 2d Only to Crack



Shooting of Baby in The Bronx Resulted in 3 Detentions 1 Pled Now a 2d Only to Crack

by Matthew Russell Lee, Patreon Book Substack

SDNY COURTHOUSE, May 15 รข€“  Two men were presented and detained in Manhattan Federal court on August 9, 2023 for a shooting of an 11-month-old baby in January 2022. The baby was in the courtroom - and so was Inner City Press. Thread:

OK - now presentment of AHMED ALTOREI & SAMUEL BAUTISTA after a street shooting on Jan 19, 2022, targeting a rival drug dealer but shot an 11-month-old baby in the face.  Courtroom filling.

Deputy: Mr Lazzaro, are you consenting? [To detention]

A: Yes. [This could be a short one]

In the gallery, a couple with a baby...  All rise!

 Lance Lazzaro, for Ahmed Altorei (he i$ retained)

Federal Defender for Samuel Bautista, with financial affidavit.

Judge: Cocaine base aka crack sales, using guns, brandished and discharged. Bautista is a felon, with .380 ammo 

Judge: Both consent to detention without prejudice. Medical order as to Mr Bautista.

  AUSA: Next is Sept 8 at 11 am in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Afterward, the couple and the now older than a year baby went out together down the hall.

On September 8, the two were back in court, before SDNY Chief Judge Laura Taylor Swain. Inner City Press was there. Beyond setting the next conference for November 15 at 11:30 am, Bautista asked to be released on bond.

The AUSA responded with a narrative of the background to the shooting: a feud with Tyrone Handley a/k/a Smokey, in and around 2860 Grand Concourse and 198th Street in The Bronx. The baby's parents spoke, and urged that detention be continued. As docketed on September 12, it was.

On October 5, docketed October 6, a superseding indictment, with Altorei, Bautista and Ronald Coradin a/k/a Scrappy...

On February 16, 2024 there was a hearing; Inner City Press went, the only media there.

AUSA:We will complete discovery in a month, and return to court May 14.

It was November 13 when Inner City Press was back in the courtroom on the case, the three defendants - one with a foot issue - in the jury box, from the thread:

One of the three detained defendant needs to be seen by outside doctor; AUSA says OK but date will not be given.

Three week trial in 3 to 6 months.

On April 21, 2025 it got more specific: "as to Ahmed Altorei, Ronald Coradin the trial in this case is hereby scheduled to begin with jury selection on February 9, 2026, at 9:30 AM. The final pretrial conference is adjourned to January 30, 2026, at 11:00 AM in Courtroom 17C. The Government is directed to confer with the parties, and by April 28, 2025, to file a joint letter proposing a date for the next conference"

On June 12 co-defendant Bautista filed a motion for, among other things, severance.

On August 15 Chief Judge Swain denied the motion to sever.

On August 22 co-defendant Coradin wrote in opposing any tolling of the Speedy Trial Act clock, and asking for a new lawyer.

Docketed on September 11, Chief Judge Swain appointed a new "CJA counsel for Mr. Coradin in the above-captioned matter. SO ORDERED. (Signed by Judge Laura Taylor Swain on 9/11/2025)."

On October 23 co-defendant Samuel Bautista wrote in through counsel to request notice if the Government intends to use any of the 647 recorded jail calls by Juan Ortiz and material under Kyles v. Whitley.

On November 26, "NOTICE OF CASE REASSIGNMENT as to Ahmed Altorei, to Judge George B. Daniels. Judge Laura Taylor Swain no longer assigned to the case."

On December 15 a guilty plea was set: "Set/Reset Hearings as to Ahmed Altorei: Change of Plea Hearing set for 12/17/2025 at 02:00 PM before Judge George B. Daniels."

That was pushed back: "ORDER as to Ahmed Altorei. The change-of-plea hearing previously scheduled for December 17, 2025, having been continued, is hereby scheduled for January 7, 2026, at 9:45 a.m."

On January 7, the trial was pushed back: "Conference as to Ahmed Altorei held on 1/7/2026.  The trial date of February 9, 2026 is continued, and a provisional trial date is set for July 13, 2026.

On April 21, another conference - May 6 - was set: " Status conference held. The parties are directed to appear for a pretrial conference on Wednesday, May 6, 2026, at 10:00 a.m. (Pretrial Conference set for 5/6/2026 at 10:00 AM before Judge George B. Daniels)."

Just before, Altorei pled guilty. The remaining two were brought into court May 6:

All rise! Defense: We need more investigative materials if we are going to be ready for trial in July. My client has waited nearly three years for his trial. But we need these materials. Judge Daniels: Have you asked for them and the Government has refused?

 Defense: We got some materials at 4 am this morning and haven't had time to review them. On translations, there is material in Spanish and Arabic. We don't have them yet.  Asst US Attorney: They want NYPD materials how they were identified. But we worked with FBI

AUSA: I personally uploaded the material at 4 am today, after receiving them yesterday. Now that's being raised for other reasons it seems, so be it. We are at peace with a July trial. Judge: I need this issue sharpened so I can decide it

 2d defense lawyer: I am in Chicago on May 26 and have a medical appointment on May 27 at noon. Judge: So, May 27 at 10 am 2d defense lawyer: Can my client not come? Unless there is a plea. It is disruptive to be brought from the MDC [jail]

Judge: I'd like him here

On May 14, another guilty plea: "Change of Plea Hearing as to Ronald Coradin held on 5/14/2026.  Defendant Ronald Coradin pled guilty to the lesser-included offense of Count Five of participating in a conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 28 grams and more of mixtures and substances containing a detectable amount of cocaine base in a form commonly known as "crack," in violation of 21 U.S.C. ร ¸‡ร ¸‡ 846 and 841(b)(1)(B). Sentencing is scheduled for September 23, 2026 at 10:30 a.m"

 Inner City Press will stay on the case(s). 

 The case is now USA v. Altorei, et al., 1:23-cr-407 (Daniels)

***

Your support means a lot. As little as $5 a month helps keep us going and grants you access to exclusive bonus material on our Patreon page. Click here to become a patron.

sdny

Feedback: Editorial [at] innercitypress.com
SDNY Press Room
500 Pearl Street, NY NY 10007 USA

Mail: Box 130222 NY NY 10013

Reporter's mobile (and weekends): 718-716-3540



Other, earlier Inner City Press are listed here, and some are available in the ProQuest service, and now on Lexis-Nexis.

 Copyright 2006-2026 Inner City Press, Inc. To request reprint or other permission, e-contact Editorial [at] innercitypress.com