SDNY COURTHOUSE, Sept 29 â On June 14, 2026
a school bus intended to transport World Cup fans to the
Meadowlands went up in flames, amid celebrations of the
New York Knicks NBA championship win. In July Jonathan
Strahs was arrested at his home in Bushwick, Brooklyn and
charged with arson.
On September 29 with no one in the
courtroom but his parents and Inner City Press, Strahs
pled guilty to a lesser charge. After being asked to leave
by Strahs mother - the Press' answer was no - Inner City
Press live tweeted, here,
Information-in-lieu-of-Indictment
on Patreon here,
more here
All rise!
AUSA: We are here for a change
of plea to a one count information for violation 18 USC
33(a).
Judge Daniels: How old are you?
Strahs: 31. I have a graduate degree. Judge Daniels:
I am going to ask you questions
[The mother asked the Court
Security Office, Who is that man? CSO: He's the Press.
She to Inner City Press: Can I ask you to leave? Inner
City Press: No, it's a public courtroom.]
Judge: You are charged with
destruction of motor vehicles under Section 33(a), with
a maximum sentence of 20 years. Strahs: I understand.
I'm aware I'm waiving rights. I trust my lawyer.
Judge: I have been given
a letter plea agreement. Is that your signature? Strahs:
Yes
Judge: It says if you are
not a citizen you may be removed Strahs: I understand.
Judge: Any valid defense? Federal Defender: No reason
not to accept plea. Judge: Tell me what you did. Strahs:
I was in Midtown, I am a filmmaker recording the Knicks
revelry
Strahs: There was a fire
on a bus and I threw something on it that made the fire
bigger. My life has been turned upside down. Judge: Was
the bus destroyed? Federal Defender: Yes, judge. Judge:
Were you aware of that, Mr. Strahs? Strahs: Yes
Judge: Were you aware it was
illegal? [Strahs confers with lawyer] Strahs: What I did
was wrong, and I knew it. Judge: How do you plead?
Strahs: Not guilty. Judge: What?
Strahs: Guilty
OK - now at change of plea of Jonathan Strahs for that happened on a bus - his mother just asked Inner City Press to leave the courtroom. (Response: Sorry, but it's public). Will live tweet, thread below pic.twitter.com/QFhdFdYUvs
â Inner City Press (@innercitypress) September 29, 2026
Judge: I accept your guilty plea
Judge: The next step is
sentencing. You'll be interviewed by Probation.
Sentencing Jan 20 at 10 am. Federal Defender: Mr. Strahs
was initially charged with arson. He immediately gave
his footage of the championship. The Government agreed
he didn't start the fire
Federal Defender: We seek
removal of the location monitoring device. He now lives
with his family. AUSA:
No objection. Judge: Do you need a written order? FD:
Send an email to pre-trial, please. Judge: Sure
Adjourned
More on X for Subscribers here and Patreon
here; Information-in-lieu-of-Indictment on Patreon here