Showing posts with label fifa. Show all posts
Showing posts with label fifa. Show all posts

Monday, May 18, 2015

Exclusive: In Burundi, Nkurunziza Was Offered FIFA Post, Inner City Press Learns, Use of UN Arms UNclear


By Matthew Russell Lee, Exclusive series
UNITED NATIONS, May 18 -- As the UN Security Council, the United States and the UN Peacebuilding Configuration on Burundi on May 15 issued statements urging calm in the country given the return of Pierre Nkurunziza to presumably run for a third term, Inner City Press was multiply informed of an offer that had been made to Nkurunziza, to ween him from the third term dream: a high but honorary post in FIFA, the football federation, as a sort of goodwill ambassador.
  Nkurunziza turned it down, Inner City Press is informed by Permanent Representatives at the UN and other diplomatic sources. Now he has sacked ministers and said it is him or Al Shabaab. What could have been, FIFA. (Inner City Press also asked on May 18 about Qatar detaining a BBC journalist while he reported on the situation of migrant workers preparing there for the FIFA World Cup.)
  On Burundi, from the UN's May 18 noon briefing transcript:
Inner City Press: on Burundi.  I wanted to ask a couple of things.  One is that there are reports of both military and police stopping people at checkpoints, checking their phones to see if they participated in anti-third term protests.  So, I wondered is that… does Mr. Djinnit or the UN have any comment on the alleged crackdown on demonstrators?  I also wanted to know, has the Secretary-General made any calls beyond the previously disclosed one to President [Uhuru] Kenyatta about the situation in Burundi?  For example, to Rwanda? And finally, I want to know if you can speak to whether DPKO [Department of Peacekeeping Operations] has facilitated the purchase and acquisition of weapons by the Government of Burundi for allegedly or reportedly for its peacekeeping operations; and if so, what safeguards are in place that those weapons are not used domestically?  Thank you.

Deputy Spokesman Farhan Haq:  Well, on the last one, there are safeguards to make sure that all of the equipment used for peacekeeping missions is, in fact, used in peacekeeping missions.  So, that would a matter for DPKO to follow up on, but certainly, none of that equipment is meant to be used domestically by any troop-contributing country, including Burundi.  In terms of other phone calls the Secretary-General made, on Friday afternoon, he did also speak with the President of Uganda.  And like I said, now, Mr. Djinnit is in Bujumbura and he can continue some of the discussions while he's there.  I'm not aware of any calls to the President of Rwanda.  And you've asked so many questions that I've forgotten your first.

Inner City Press:  As to that, in response to people's cell phones being checked to see if they protested, but I just wanted to understand more on this question of, you're saying weapons for peacekeeping?  I mean, most countries have their own military equipment, then they deploy to a country and they get reimbursed.  But, I’m not aware that the US makes… the UN makes sure they don't… how they're used in countries.  So, I wanted to know, very specifically, acquisition of grenades in this case, what safeguards are in place?  If a country procures them with the assistance of DPKO, do they remain out of the country?  If they go back to the country, how does the DPKO have any idea how they're used?

Deputy Spokesman Haq:  DPKO follows up on how contingent-owned equipment is deployed and used.  Now on the first question, if we… if there is a confirmation of this sort of a crackdown, that would be a matter of grave concern.  Like I said, what we want to make clear is anyone responsible for ordering or committing human rights violations will be held accountable and we will take that very seriously. 
  On equipment and materiel, UN Peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous, multiple sources exclusively complained to Inner City Press, wrote a letter urging that Burundi's government be provided with weapons, ostensibly for peacekeeping, including grenades. One letter, they said, was to Montenegro.
  The sources asked Inner City Press what safeguards if any were in place that these grenades and other weapons are not used against democracy protesters in Burundi itself. They noted that Ladsous' Department of Peacekeeping Operations "let Nkurunziza take nine million dollars from the contingent-owned equipment fund," which one called "a variation on Rwanda in '94."
 And so on May 18, Inner City Press asked UN deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq to explain any safeguards concerning equipment or weapons acquired by Burundi for "peacekeeping" being used domestically.
  Haq said that DPKO monitors this. Video here.
  Inner City Press asked, since countries use their own equipment for overseas deployment and charge the UN for it, how does the UN monitor how it's used when it returns to the contributing country?
  Haq insisted that DPKO monitors for this.  (When Inner City Press asked why Ladsous over the weekend chided Malians for not being thankful enough to France, Haq told Inner City Press to "Ask DPKO" -- what, Ladsous who does not answer? His spokespeople who grab microphones or use file folders to block the filming of Ladsous?
  On the afternoon of May 18, a well place African Permanent Representative told Inner City Press flatly,Ladsous should resign.
  Inner City Press asked Haq about Burundian security forces searching civilians phones for evidence they protested the possible third term. Haq said "if that is proved" -- if. 
  Haq said envoy Said Djinnit might briefing the Security Council on Wednesday May 20, and might brief the press - might.
  Inner City Press asked if Ban had called any head of state beyond Kenyatta about Burundi. Haq said, Museveni of Uganda. We'll have more on this.
  Another noted that since Ladsous had, as French Deputy Permanent Representative in the Security Council in 1994defended the escape into Eastern Congo of the Rwanda's Hutu genocidaires, this push to sell grenades to Nkurunziza was "not surprising." But why should such an individuals be head of UN Peacekeeping? Apparently it is up to France and France alone.
  Others noted a closed door session of the UN's budget committee set for next week in which Ladsous' intervention to try to force out the whistleblower who revealed French "Sangaris" troops' child rapes in Central African Republic would have to be defended, this time by Ban Ki-moon's chief of staff Susana Malcorra.
   "Why don't they just fire Ladsous?" one well place diplomat asked Inner City Press, then answering the question: "because France." But for how long? Watch this site.
   During the UN Peacekeeping configuration meeting on May 15, Inner City Press is exclusively informed, Tanzania's Ambassador asked the UN's head of Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman why the UN and Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had been so slow to condemn the coup.
   Inner City Press put the question to Ban's deputy spokesman Farhan Haq at the UN's public noon briefing on May 15, to give the UN a change to publicly explain. 
  But as on a scandal about Ban and his nephew being reported on here by Inner City Press and media in Vietnam and South Korea, where Ban Ki-moon is headed, Haq response was essentially that the UN is good, that is does not need to explain (in the case of Ban's nephew) or should be presumed to be always deeply engaged and deeply concerned. Some simply don't believe that.
   While Haq at the May 15 noon briefing said that Ban, who has yet to speak with Nkurunziza, spoke with Kenya's President Kenyatta, Inner City Press is informed that in the closed Peacebuilding Configuration meeting it was said that Ban called Rwanda's Paul Kagame as well. If so, why didn't Haq say that? (Click here for another exclusive story about Ban's office not disclosing Ban's call with US John Kerry about Yemen).

 
  

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

In Kerry's Nine Months, of Israeli Settlements & Palestine Membership Moves, ICP Asks CFR


By Matthew Russell Lee
UNITED NATIONS, July 30 -- At Tuesday's US State Department briefing, while the Israel - Palestine talks about nine months of talks dominated, whether settlements or Palestinian moves for recognition will continue in this time was not really addressed.
  On a Council on Foreign Relations call later Tuesday afternoon, Inner City Press asked CFR expert Robert Danin if he thought settlements would stop. Danin noted that Israel's housing minister is a settler and likely will push forward. But would the Minister of Defense approve such moves?
  Danin said that Israel, in exchange for releasing prisoners, sought Palestine foregoing "isolating Israel" in international forums. That's something different.
  At the UN Tuesday morning, the Committee on the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People met in the Trusteeship Council Chamber. It accredited five non-governmental organizations and turned three others down. Palestine wants to host the FIFA Congress in 2017 - how does that "further isolate Israel"?
  On the CFR call -- and in the day's US State Department briefing -- there was surprisingly little talk of Syria, as impacts Israel - Palestine and generally. Some link Syria to Turkey's reported decision to pull out of the UNIFIL mission in southern Lebanon, which Inner City Press asked the UN about at Tuesday's noon briefing. In the afternoon, just before the CFR call, the following came back:
Subject: Your question on UNIFIL
From: UN Spokesperson - Do Not Reply [at] un.org
Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM
To: Matthew.Lee@innercitypress.com
Regarding your question on whether Turkey would withdraw its troops from the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), the Department of Peacekeeping Operations has not received any official notification from Turkey on this issue.
  How much to trust the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations under its fourth Frenchman in a row, Herve Ladsous? He refuses to answer questions -- video here -- and his four spokespeople have left unanswered for 24 days a question about Ladsous' non-implementation of the UN's supposed Human Rights Due Diligence Policy. 

Monday, July 29, 2013

As Brazil Gets Olympics Baton, No Questions on Spending, Ban Ki-moon Cites South Korea, UK Lobbied by Saudi


By Matthew Russell Lee
UNITED NATIONS, July 29 -- When the UK handed over the Olympic baton to Brazil with the UN's Ban Ki-moon and his empty track suit presiding, Inner City Press expected that at least a few questions would be taken.
  They had, after all, asked journalists to RSVP and put it in the UN Media Alert, unlike the morning's General Assembly briefing on Syria.
  A range of Permanent Representatives showed up: Sylvie Lucas of Luxembourg and her counterparts Costa Rica's Eduardo Ulibarri-Bilbao, Bolivia's Sacha Sergio Llorentty SolĂ­z, Gabon's Nelson Messone, New Zealand's Jim Mclay, Kazakhstan's Byrganym Aitimova (an Olympian, who alsospoke at China's Li Baodong's farewell) and Saudi Arabia's Abdallah Yahya A. Al-Mouallimi and Kenya's Macharia Kamau (more on these last two later.)
  A riser for camera-persons had been set up; there were speakers for sound and UNTV was there. Ban Ki-moon, fresh from issuing a statement about the attack on a building housing Turkish personnel in Mogadishu, arrived and the speeches began.
  The UK's Mark Lyall Grant joked about "Big Ban" in front of Big Ben; Ban used the opportunity to talk up the 2018 Winter Olympics in his native South Korea, which Yonhap says he will visit for six days in late August. Brazil's new Permanent Representative Luiz Alberto Figueiredo Machado talked about trying to live up to London's standard.
  This was the question that with all due respect should have been allowed and asked: what does the UN make of the protests of Brazil's spending on the World Cup and Olympics? 
  Since Ban cited sustainability, does building a stadium in the middle of the jungle meet that definition? As the Games, and World Cup before then, get closer the questions will continue to be asked.
(As will why FIFA gave the World Cup to Qatar, with talk now turning to holding it in the winter due to heat. Or does Ban Ki-moon think it's "sustainable" to try to air-condition an outdoor stadium?)
At the end of the event, Saudi Arabia's Permanent Representative Abdallah Yahya A. Al-Mouallimi who spoke earlier about Syria was seen chatting up Lyall Grant on something. Inner City Press asked Kenya's affable Permanent Representative Macharia Kamau what brought him to the event. We always do well, he joked, we need commitments to get good starting places. Watch this site.
Footnote: the new Free UN Coalition for Access, whichcomplained of the hurdles the UN put up to covering the morning's General Assembly meeting on Syria, is proposing the the UN and where applicable member states make clear in advance when events will not allow any questions. While theUN's response for now has been, "your presence is not mandatory," followed by threats, we're expecting more on this. Watch this site.

 
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Of FIFA and Coca Leaf, Evo Morales at the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues

Byline: Matthew Russell Lee of Inner City Press at UN
www.innercitypress.com/un1morales042108.html

UNITED NATIONS, April 21 -- FIFA is more powerful than the United Nations, Bolivian President Evo Morales told the Press on Monday. The International Federation of Football, called soccer in New York where Morales was speaking, has ruled that Bolivia cannot play its World Cup qualifying games in La Paz, due to the altitude. Inner City Press asked Morales about this, and about his response to the UN's International Narcotics Control Board's stance again use of the coca leaf in Bolivia. While criticizing both "dictatorships," Morales said that he will file a complaint a human rights complaint with the UN in Geneva, against "discrimination against altitude," and that the FIFA thinks it's bigger than the UN.

And, as one wag mused afterwards, FIFA is more decisive. While for example the UN on Monday issued two positions on the longstanding paralysis in Western Sahara, FIFA says no games in La Paz, and it's no games in La Paz.

Morales' press conference took place in the run-up to an autonomy referendum in the more affluent, and less indigenous, parts of Bolivia on May 4. Morales called the referendum illegal, but was vague on how his government will respond on the day of voting. At a demonstration across First Avenue from the UN, activist in support of Morales denounced what they called USAID's involvement on the side of those seeking autonomy. While not mentioned at the demonstration, it's worth comparing this position with the U.S. Administration's opposition to moves for autonomy and independence by residents of the Abkhazia and South Ossetia "breakaway" regions of Georgia.

Morales was the big draw at the first day of this year's meeting of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. While climate change is this year's theme, last year the big issue was the passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People, over the opposition of four countries. Since then one of the four, Australia, has changed its position on the Declaration as it did on the Kyoto Protocol, following the election of Kevin Rudd. One down, three to go, one of the proponents said on Monday.

But that's what the governor of Santa Cruz in Bolivia is saying.. Watch this site.

And see, www.innercitypress.com/un1morales042108.html