Ging on August 5 acknowledged that “this is not the full picture as many Ukrainians that have fled their homes do not register with Ukrainian authorities or officially apply for assistance. The Russian authorities and UNHCR are reporting that 740,000 people have crossed the border since the start of the year.”
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Exclusive: Crimea Data Included With Russia By UN DESA, Sources Tell Inner City Press
Ging on August 5 acknowledged that “this is not the full picture as many Ukrainians that have fled their homes do not register with Ukrainian authorities or officially apply for assistance. The Russian authorities and UNHCR are reporting that 740,000 people have crossed the border since the start of the year.”
Monday, April 27, 2015
IAEA Praises Sudan Nuclear Path, Then Amano Takes No Q on It or Africa, Censorship Alliance
How should the next UN Secretary General be selected, to improve the Organization? That was the question on April 27, first in a 10 am press conference by the campaign called "1 for 7 Billion: Find the Best UN Leader."
Natalie Samarasinghe of the UN Association of the UK said, On the USG issue, we want an SG who has the freedom to make merit based appoints. At the moment as you have seen it is very unevenly applied. We need to condemn it. That pressure is very positive.”
Thursday, October 30, 2014
As UN Controller Job Goes to US' Bettina Bartsiotas, Inner City Press Scoop, Joint Inspection Unit Connection
Spokesman: It's not a matter, it's a fact. It was announced.
Inner City Press: Who's been running it since then? And can you confirm that Bettina Bartsiotas is going to be named the new Comptroller this week?
Spokesman: There has been an acting Comptroller, and senior appointments are official once — if I may be so bold — once I announce them from this podium. So we can play around with the name game for quite some time.
Inner City Press: But given this number of months without a Comptroller…
Spokesman: There's an acting Comptroller, so I think that the finances treasury of the UN remains in safe hands under the supervision of Mr. Takasu as is the Head of the Department of Management.
Saturday, July 16, 2011
After UN's Nuclear Meeting on Syria, Russia Calls It History, Damascus a Campaign
By Matthew Russell Lee
UNITED NATIONS, July 14 -- Even before the UN Security Council began meeting Thursday afternoon about the Dair Alzour in Syria, China's Deputy Permanent Representative Wang told the Press that “the issue shouldn't be here, it no longer exists.”
A Russian representative called Inner City Press aside and said, “We are only here because we are Council members. The Council is for threats to international peace and security, not for history.”
After Israel bombed Dair Alzour, the facility was destroyed. After the briefing -- and after for example French Ambassador Gerard Araud walked by the media assembled outside without saying anything -- Syria's Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari came out.
First he read to the press from former International Atomic Energy Agency director ElBaradei's book, “The Age of Deception,” about Israel's attack. Then he said that even if there were radiation at the site, it could have come from the bombs Israel had used.
Inner City Press asked Ja'afari if he thought the push to have this debate in the Security Council was related to the stalled draft resolution on the crackdown in Syria. Video here.
Ja'afari said yes, it is an “orchestrated campaign against my country... They try to mobilize all agencies against Syria.” He spoke on (BlackBerry) camera about the European draft resolution, the attempt to put language about the crackdown into the UNDOF resolution (click here for Inner City Press' story on that) and to this “nucear” issues, adding, “they are so polite, they call it implementation of the safeguard agreement.”
Inner City Press asked him, “What's the next move?”
Ja'afari answered, “biological or chemical.” Video here. And then he was gone.Monday, July 12, 2010
NPT Draft Obtained Though Restricted to Member States, Western Dips Deceive
UNITED NATIONS, May 24 -- Despite promises of transparency for the Non-Proliferation Treaty conference this month, the distribution of the President's Draft of the Final Declaration on Monday night was laughable.
Inner City Press showed up at midnight at the Philippines Mission to the UN on Fifth Avenue and 45th Street, where it was said the draft would be released. A banner was unfurled, along with torches, for a New Zealand nuclear free zone.
But when the Philippines Mission opened the doors at midnight, only state parties were allowed in, and each that appeared was given only a single copy. The Mission had more than enough copies -- Inner City Press witnessed a stack being carried in -- but an attempt was made to exclude the Press and civil society.
After much complaining and persistence, a consultant to a Mission that will remain unnamed agreed to give Inner City Press a copy, a scan of which we are exclusively putting online here.
There has been much posturing. A Sudanese diplomat last week complained that "Western powers" were trying to divide the Non Aligned Movement, portending a total breakdown of the NPT.
On Monday a self-described Western diplomat, high above Manhattan, told the assembled Press that something would pass, but it would be weak. Inner City Press asked about China's nuclear deal with Pakistan. "That is academic," the Western diplomat responded. "Pakistan is not ripe for IAEA inspections."
Later on Monday, among the NGOs, it was said that this Western diplomat's country was in fact the problems. "We lack a solid US commitment," an NGO leader told Inner City Press, "unlike in 2000. It's that Obama has other priorities."
In any event, here as a public service is the draft. Watch this site.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
At UN, Iran's Mottaki Says Protesters Are Dealt With, Nuclear Sites All Reported
By Matthew Russell Lee
www.innercitypress.com/iran1mottaki100109.html
UNITED NATIONS, October 1 -- In Iran "there are some people, a limited number of people, who look for trouble and want to create unreal," Iranian foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki told the Press on Thursday. "It is very clear how they should be dealt with." Video here, from Minute 31:55.
During a Q&A session at the UN in New York, nearly all of which dealt with nuclear issues, Inner City Press asked Mottaki about a story of post-election torture, rape and exile, which Inner City Press heard from Ebrahim Sharifi by cell phone on September 21. Sharifi states that he joined the non violent street protests then was picked up, blindfolded and held for a week.
Inner City Press asked Mottaki if he acknowledged the veracity of any such charges, if people can file complaints in Iran and what he thinks of the call for a UN General Assembly special envoy to Iran on human rights issues. Video here, from Minute 25:43, Mottaki's reponse here from Minute 27:08.
Mottaki's more then five minute answer became with calling the June elections "the most glorious presidential elections in the history of the Islamic Republic of Iran." Mottaki claimed the skeptics, once they received an explanation, were convinced. This left a few trouble makers -- "it is very clear how they should be dealt with."
Mottaki said that Iran has vibrant NGOs, which rather than complain in Geneva to the Human Rights Council come to the UN in New York to participate in workshops about the rights on women.
On Iran's nuclear program, Mottaki said that other than Qom, there are no other sites not reported to the IAEA. The press conference ended with a report for a newspaper in Israel calling for the floor, without receiving it. He was told by the UN's spokesperson that the UN is an "inter-governmental body... we cannot do anything about what member states do." Apparently not.
Inner City Press has previously written about, and sampled, Iran's kebab diplomacy, click here for that. Thousands of years of culture...
And see, www.innercitypress.com/iran1mottaki100109.html