Saturday, February 17, 2024

Felon Said To Handcuff Bank Teller and Assault Nurse on Rikers Is Detained Pro Se in SDNY


by Matthew Russell Lee, Patreon Book Substack

SDNY COURTHOUSE, Feb 15 – A man who while on supervised release was accused of handcuffing a bank teller and assaulting a nurse on Rikers Island was presented and ordered detained on February 15, after speaking for himself at length.

 In the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York Magistrates Court, Inner City Press was the only media present. Exclusive thread:

OK - now the defendant who was shouting on the holding cell earlier has been brought out. Concerns have been raised. He is talking across at Probation.

Defendant: I told them I didn't want to be fingerprinted in the system...I have a right to self-govern. She [Probation] just put a hold on me, she didn't ask Judge Kaplan

 Defendant: I already served jail time. Judge: The only question is whether you will be detained. Counsel, have you reviewed the petition with the defendant? CJA defense: I have tried.

 Defendant: To get state bail my pops had to show W2, he works for the Bronx DA. I promise I will return to court.  Judge: Let me read you your rights [Does]

 Defense: I can represent myself. Judge: You already are. Can I sign a financial affidavit for you? Defense: Yes Ma'am. I don't have US currency but I have mind currency Judge: Can you raise your right hand? Defendant: I can't. [Shows handcuffs, almost tips chair

Defendant: They took away my currency I could have used here today in court. Judge: You have right to remain silent AUSA: We seek detention

AUSA: His violations include impersonating law enforcement officers. He handcuffed a bank employee- Defendant: Miss, she's lying

 AUSA: He punched a registered nurse in the face...The state case, one was already sentenced, for punching the nurse they let him out on bail Defendant: I have a justifiable reason

 Defendant: I'm not a kid, the impersonation case has been dismissed... It wasn't a robbery. My Probation officer, she gets emotional, she does things out of  spite. I showed her a gun permit

Defendant: Everyone has the right to be the CEO of their brand... The DA's job is to bring me down and make me suffer. I can have pepper spray Semi appointed defense lawyer: My client is alert in many ways

Defendant: My family paid my state bail, that's why the feds arrested me. I am not going to run and hurt my family, say f*ck you to them, excuse my language Probation: He locked people in a car dealership and demanded a car

Defendant: She is lying, under perjury, I have the statements on my phone. I am a security guard Judge: I cannot allow your release Defense: I want my equal rights Judge: We have not shown you are not a danger

h Defendant: I became a security guard to secure people

 Judge: You will remain detained [He is removed  ]

The case is US v. Clarke, 16-cr-212 (Kaplan)

***

Your support means a lot. As little as $5 a month helps keep us going and grants you access to exclusive bonus material on our Patreon page. Click here to become a patron.

sdny

Feedback: Editorial [at] innercitypress.com