Saturday, February 21, 2026

For NJ Armed Robbery Causing Death Defendant Was Convicted Now US Opposes 2255 Motion



For NJ Armed Robbery Causing Death Defendant Was Convicted Now US Opposes 2255 Motion

By Matthew Russell Lee, Patreon

SDNY COURTHOUSE, Feb 17 – Kasheem Samuels has been on trial for armed robberies in The Bronx and Middlesex County, New Jersey, the latter resulting in the death of Andrew Torres. Inner City Press covered the trial, and now the guilty verdict on all but two counts:

VERDICT against KASHEEN SAMUELS, a/k/a “Kash,” a/k/a “JR,” on five counts, including charges relating to the felony murder of Andrew Torres during an armed robbery, as well as other charges relating to robbery, robbery conspiracy, and narcotics conspiracy.  In June 2017, Kasheen Samuels and others conspired to rob a man of money and jewelry in the Bronx, New York and Middlesex County, New Jersey. The robbery took place in a New Jersey hotel, during which a young man was shot and killed. SAMUELS assisted in planning the robbery, provided a gun that was used during the robbery, and obtained jewelry stolen from one of the victims.     In addition, during April 2016, SAMUELS and others conspired to steal drug-trafficking proceeds near an autobody shop in the Bronx.  SAMUELS also conspired to distribute large quantities of heroin and crack cocaine in the Bronx and Burlington, Vermont, from 2015 to 2018....  SAMUELS was acquitted of one count of attempted robbery in April 2016 and one count of using a firearm in connection with that attempted robbery.

  Previous Inner City Press coverage: in July 19, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York Judge Edgardo Ramos held a final pre-trial conference. Inner City Press covered it.

   Samuels and his attorney want to keep from the jury information about gang membership, where he met witnesses (in prison) and previous offenses.

 Most of these motions in limine were denied on July 19.

It runs from 9:30 to 2:30 from Monday to Friday, Judge Ramos said, giving the jurors the afternoons to take care of things.

 On July 27 Inner City Press in person covered the trial right to 2:30 pm. On the stand, in a plexi-glass boss, was a witness in a white skull cap. He was driven in a car to Middlesex County but said he didn't know what had happened in the hotel room, only that a gun went in.

  Defense attorney Foy asked him, hadn't he wondered aloud if the "Spanish women" had been victims of a sexual assault, and said "You know how Spanish dudes are"? Had he blamed Kash? The AUSA made a number of objections, slightly more than half sustained.

  The witness was driven back to the Bronx, but denied it was to Webster Avenue and 178th Street. 168th, maybe. It was 2:30 pm and the trial day was done.

Later the US Attorney's Office filed a letter with Judge Ramos saying that the witness, John Mingo, hadn't really meant "you know how Spanish dudes are," but that it was a "confusing colloquy during which Mingo referred both to Spanish individuals and other unidentified people." So, the argument goes, evidence should not be admitted as it is not inconsistent.

Jump cut to February 17, 2025 when the US Attorney's Office opposed the defendant's motion under 28 USC 2255, saying among other things that that aiding and abetting answer to the jury's question was already upheld by the Second Circuit.

The case is USA v. Samuels, 1:18-cr-306 (Ramos)

***

Your support means a lot. As little as $5 a month helps keep us going and grants you access to exclusive bonus material on our Patreon page. Click here to become a patron.

Feedback: Editorial [at] innercitypress.com

Mail: Box 130222 NY NY 10017

Reporter's mobile (and weekends): 718-716-3540



Other, earlier Inner City Press are listed here, and some are available in the ProQuest service, and now on Lexis-Nexis.

 Copyright 2006-2026 Inner City Press, Inc. To request reprint or other permission, e-contact Editorial [at] innercitypress.com